Turmeric vegan mac n’ cheese is the perfect mash-up of superfood and comfort food! Even your friends who don’t believe vegan food can taste good will like this one! This recipe will make 4-6 servings
Total Recipe Time
- 1 Lb Macaroni Pasta (Gluten-free or regular)
- 1 Onion, peeled and halved
- 4 Cups Unsweetened Organic Soy Milk (Almond or hemp works great, too!)
- 1/2 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine (Such as Earth Balance)
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Cheese
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour or GF Alternative
- 1 Tbsp English Mustard Powder
- 1TBSP MRM organic turmeric powder
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt and cook macaroni pasta as instructed on the packaging.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot add the milk and onion and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and strain the milk into a separate container. Discard the onion.
- Melt the margarine in a pot then add the flour and stir constantly to form a paste, also known as a “roux”.
- Add the mustard, turmeric, then the milk to the roux. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook for 8-10mins stirring constantly- otherwise you run the risk of burning the mixture onto the bottom of the pot.
- Drain the pasta (do not rinse), and add to the milk mixture. Stir in nutritional yeast and vegan cheese until creamy and melted.
WANT TO BAKE YOUR MAC N’ CHEESE?
- Complete all directions listed above.
- Pre-heat the over to 350°F.
- *Crush 5 garlic cloves, chop some fresh thyme and toss them in olive oil.
- *Gently roast the herb mix in a pan for 1-2 minutes then throw into a food processor with 1/2 Cup of breadcrumbs and blend together.
- *Top the mac n cheese with the garlic breadcrumb.
- Bake for 15minutes and enjoy!