Turkey Cacao Chili
Cacao?? In Chili?? Trust us, this chili is out of this world!!
It’s rich, flavorful, and delicious! So what is cacao? Cacao comes from the fruit of
the Theobroma cacao tree and is dried and
ground to make a powder. In its natural form, it is full of flavanols and antioxidants. The healthy fats found in cacao help develop the flavors in the chili.
We love using our fermented cacao powder in smoothies, yogurt bowls, and of course, chili!
- 1 lb Organic ground turkey
- 2 tbsp MRM Organic Fermented Cacao Powder
- 2 Carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 Brown onion (peeled and diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 C Red kidney beans (rinsed)
- 2 tbsp Ground chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground coriander powder
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 16 oz Can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 C Organic Chicken broth (or broth of choice)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- Sea salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Light Olive Oil
- 1tbsp Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Cilantro (garnish optional)
- Jalapenos (garnish optional)
Prepare all ingredients as directed.
Heat a medium sized casserole pot to a high heat and add a splash of light olive oil.
Brown the ground turkey for 2 minutes and remove from the pot, leaving the oil in the pot.
Add the onions & carrots and cook gently in the oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and ground spices and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot and bring to the boil.
Add the crushed tomatoes, ground turkey, chopped thyme and a pinch of sea salt then cover with a lid. Bring to the boil then reduce temperature to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the kidney beans and return to a simmer for another 30 minutes.
Finally, add the Cacao powder and stir in well. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve with your choice of rice and a good old dollop of sour cream.