Classic Mac N' Cheese with Turmeric
Classic mac n’ cheese with turmeric is just what it sounds like- a superfood boosted version of your favorite comfort food. With the addition of turmeric, you’ll get a richer color, enhanced flavor, and a little anti-inflammatory action with every bite… and honestly, who doesn’t need that when digging into some comfort food?!
Total Recipe Time
- 5 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 Whole Onion, peeled only and studded with two cloves
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp English Mustard
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp MRM Organic Turmeric Powder
- 4 Cups Dried Macaroni Noodles
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Cup Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (optional)
- In a pot, bring the milk to a boil and add the studded onion. Leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- While cooking the onion, prepare the other ingredients…
- Heat a medium-sized pot on medium heat and melt the butter. To make a roux, add in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes constantly stirring. Add in the turmeric, mustard, and paprika, and cook for another minute- keep stirring!
- Gradually add the milk to the roux a ladle at a time. Continue to gently cook, being careful not to burn the base of the pan.
- Once all milk is added you should be left with a thin white sauce base.
- Stir in the cheeses and allow to gently simmer for 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.